Challenge #10 – Where can I continue my professional development in open education

Open education is only one aspect of teaching and learning, but hopefully by now you can see the possibilities for educators.   Ongoing professional development and connection to an open education community are ways to continue to expand teaching and learning practices. Fortunately, this is very easy to do in open education, since most events and best practices are captured and shared as a matter of principle.  

Challenge

1.   Do one or more of the following:
  • a) Find out if your institution has an OER working group or a key contact; b) consult your institution’s page in the Post-Secondary Directory and see what kinds of OE activities are listed.
  • Both BCcampus and eCampusOntario host events related to the topic of open education as well as other related topics.  They have large video libraries of recorded events and tutorials.  Explore one of them and find something that interests you for later viewing.

2.  Share what you discovered in the comments below.

Bonus:  Subscribe to the BCcampus newsletter if you aren’t already subscribed to stay in touch with events, OER grants and funding opportunities and professional development.

1. Anita Yeulet

My institution does not have an OER Working Group at this point in time. I find this particularly surprising because I have recently discovered several members of the faculty are working on developing OERs.